After a one week hiatus, Friday Cheers returns this week with Friday Cheers Episode III: RVA Music Night.
Head down to the island (that’s Brown’s not Belle) this Friday, and jam along to hometown heroes NoBS! Brass Band, Murphy’s Kids, and Former Champions. Could Cheers have put together a more upbeat and dance-worthy lineup? I say no. Feel free to say otherwise, but I’m gonna put on my headphones and listen to these awesome local bands all day long.
— ∮∮∮ —
No BS! Brass Band
- Genre: RVA brass band
- Sounds kinda like: A New Orleans dance party walking down Broad Street
- Sweet jam: “RVA All Day”
- Listen to the album No BS! Brass on rdio and preview the new album, RVA All Day, on Soundcloud
No BS! Brass Band is smack dab in the middle of an album release and a ton of national press. Your $5, which is easily the deal of the week, will get you an audience with the nation’s coolest (and danciest) brass band. Come prepared have your face rocked off and your feet grooved into oblivion. Oh, and shouting “RVA ALL DAY!” with a ton of other locals will make you feel some serious hometown pride.
Also, if you watch one video today, make it this one:
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: Rock (with horns)
- Sounds kinda like: Less than Jake, but, like, the old stuff
- Sweet jam: “On Leaving”
- Listen to the album The Anthemic Pandemic on rdio »
Rock! Ska! Horns! Reggae! Those are just some of the words I want to exclaim while listening to Murphy’s Kids. Words that do not come to mind: Bubonic plague, Sylvia Plath, and Great Dismal Swamp.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: Synth rock
- Sounds kinda like: Crystal Castles, but if both of those people weren’t in a terrible mood all the time.
- Sweet jam: “Ellie’s Big Adventure”
- Listen to the album Special Fx Machine on rdio »
Synthesizers! Love ‘em or hate ‘em…no, just love them because they are awesome. Former Champions are touring for their new album Special Fx Machine, which is filled with all kinds of wonderful bleeps, bloops, and wubs. If you wanted to bring some glowsticks on Friday, I wouldn’t judge you.