Charming banjo-forward music and some singer/songwriter stuff for people who have feelings. Are you those people?
Photo by: sjrowe53
Things kick off at 6:00 PM; tickets are $10, and children under 12 are free. Here’s a quick preview of what to expect this week, and, of course, there’s more info on their Facebook page.
— ∮∮∮ —
Hurray for the Riff Raff
- Genre: Americana
- Sounds kinda like: The second day of a week-long vacation in New Orleans
- Sweet jam: “The Body Electric”
- Listen to the album: Small Town Heroes on rdio »
I thought for a quick second that Friday Cheers had booked Future Islands one Friday, only to follow them up with Riff Raff the next Friday. Odd choice, Friday Cheers, I thought. BUT NOTE: Hurray for the Riff Raff is in no way related to regular Riff Raff. In fact, Hurray for the Riff Raff couldn’t be more different from the weird, spring-break rap guy. No, the former is a charming banjo-forward music collective formed by Alynda Lee, who seems equally as charming. It’s perfect, chill music for this week’s return-to-summer weather.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: Singer-songwriter guitar music
- Sounds kinda like: That episode of Gilmore Girls where Rory goes off to college.
- Sweet jam: “Bright Beginnings”
- Listen to the album: Windfall on rdio »
I have a hard time with singer-songwriter music, but I think it’s my fault. As my good pal just informed me “It’s because you have no feelings. That kind of music should make you feel things.” Well excuuuuse me for my clanging robot heart! So if your insides are filled with meat and you enjoy music that causes your brain to release chemicals to alter your mood, then this may be for you! Also: A harmonica!
— ∮∮∮ —