From patriotic songs, to fireworks, to goats, there’s something for everyone this Memorial Day.
The third annual event will dazzle with fireworks exploding over the city’s skyline. Bring an empty stomach to load up on food from Mosaic, Goatacado, King of Pops, Casa del Barco, and more.
- Sunday, May 25th • 5:30 – 6:30 PM
- 211 Rocketts Way
Linden Dixon, Commander of the American Legion Department of Virginia, will deliver the keynote address at this year’s ceremony. Special recognition will also go to six Virginians who died since Memorial Day 2013.
- Monday, May 26th • 10:00 AM
- 621 S. Belvidere Street
Richmond’s only cidery releases its Charred Ordinary, a traditional tavern-style cider, salutes the beverage of choice for colonial-era Virginians. The 2012 vintage sold out in early May and now the 2013 vintage is ready for release.
- Monday, May 26th • 12:00 – 7:00 PM
- 212 W. 6th Street
Grab a picnic before the Squirrels take on the Trenton Thunder in an afternoon matinee. With purchase, you get access to an all-you-can-eat buffet and a Diamond Club ticket.
- Monday, May 26th • 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
- The Diamond
- $17 ($12 for kids 14 and under)
Over 40 goats will be eating their way through the urban orchard site in Chimborazo Park. Never seen kudzu and grass get mowed down by a pack of hungry goats? Head to Chimborazo and watch it unfold.
- Monday, May 26th – Thursday, May 29th
- Chimborazo Park • N. 34th St and E. Broad St.
Actors Jon Mantegna and Gary Sinise reprise their hosting roles in the 25th annual concert that spotlights the stories of American service members. The National Symphony Orchestra will also perform.
Here’s a preview:
- Sunday, May 25th • 8:00 – 9:30 PM
- WCVE PBS
Carillon bells and patriotic tributes to our veterans will commence Monday night at the 58th annual event. There’ll also be a performance by the TRADOC Army Band Quartet at 7:00 PM.
- Monday, May 26th • 4:00 PM
- 1300 Blanton Avenue
One of the city’s best museums will be open and feature current exhibits like the 1812 John Wickham House, Signs of the Times, the Edward V. Valentine Sculpture Studio, and much more.
- Monday, May 26th • 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- 1015 E. Clay Street
- FREE admission for all active duty, National Guard and Reserve military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Runners and walkers of all levels are encouraged to participate in this 1.4-mile silent run from the VCU Siegel Center to the Virginia War Memorial to honor our nation’s veterans.
- Monday, May 26th • 10:00 AM (rain or shine)
- 1200 W. Broad St at VCU
The amusement park will offer free admission to any active, inactive, or retired United States Service men and women with a valid military ID. There will be planned activities along International Street each day.
- Saturday, May 24th – Monday, May 26th • regular park hours
- Theme Park Way, Doswell, VA 23047
- FREE for military personnel with valid ID
photo by Taber Andrew Bain