It’s almost May, and that means it’s time for spring festival season in RVA. With so much going on each weekend you’re gonna need to invest in a clone or time travel just to get it all done.
It’s almost May, and that means it’s time for spring festival season in RVA. With so much going on each weekend you’re gonna need to invest in a clone or time travel just to get it all done. Sure, you might end up in an ethically gray area, but it’ll be totally worth it.
— ∮∮∮ —
For 34 years residents of The Fan have headed on down to Fox Elementary for the Strawberry Street Festival (conveniently located on Strawberry Street). There you’ll find typical festival fair and, of course, strawberries!
- When: May 11th, 12:00 – 4:00 PM
- Where: William Fox Elementary, 2300 Hanover Avenue
- Price: Free
It’s the granddaddy of them all! No, wait, that’s the Rose Bowl. The Central Virginia Wine Festival, however, is pretty grand with its 16 Virginia wineries, live music, food, and vendors. As a special treat some of the RVANews gang will be on hand slinging RVA merch. Stop by and say hi!
- When: May 11th, 12:00 – 6:00 PM
- Where: SnagAJob Pavilion in Innsbrook
- Price: $20 in advance, $25 at the gate
It seems like every time I turn around there’s another event featuring Virginia’s exploding craft beer scene. And you know what? I need to start turning around more often. Take a quick drive out west, bring $15, and get unlimited tastings of Virginia’s best beers–and, dang, we’ve got a lot of ‘em.
- When: May 11th, 1:00 – 8:00 PM
- Where: 288 & Robious Road
- Price: $15
Oh man, Lebanese food! Humus, kabobs, tabouli, Baba
O’Riley ghanoush! You’ve got three days to pack your insides to the brim with some of the best food the Mediterranean has to offer.
- When: May 17th & 18th, 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM; May 19th, 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Where: St. Anthony’s Maronite Catholic Church (4611 Sadler Road)
- Price: Free, but bring some cash for delicious food items (PDF).
Are you looking for something along the lines of, say, the nation’s premiere outdoor sports and music festival but can’t be bothered to travel to Boulder, Portland, or some other Xtreme place? You’re in luck, adventure fan! Said festival takes place not in the untamed West but right here in Richmond, Virginia! Dominion Riverrock is absolutely packed with sports, music, food, and all sorts of other Xtreme things–don’t miss out!
- When: May 17th – 19th, basically all weekend long
- Where: Brown’s Island & Tredegar
- Price: Free!
Let the scenic vistas of the Rassawek Vineyards calm your work-weary soul as you and your family enjoy some serious history, fun, and wine (the later for adult family members only, please). Bring a blanket or lawn chair and get to relaxing!
- When: May 18th, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM; May 19th, 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Where: Rassawek Vineyards, off Route 6 in Goochland
- Price: $10 – $35
This one might really be the granddaddy of them all. The Greek Festival has been serving up delicious honey-soaked pastries and other Greek delicacies long enough to own the domain greekfestival.com. If baklava isn’t your thing (which…inconceivable), then maybe you can enjoy the music, dancing, wine, and general sweet vibes (but what’s the point without baklava?).
- When: May 30th – June 2nd
- Where: Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral (30 Malvern Avenue)
- Price: Free! Food prices vary, but the baklava is $2.50
— ∮∮∮ —
Friday Cheers isn’t just one festival in May, it’s eight festivals. Each Friday, from May 3rd to June 28th, Brown’s island will host some pretty stellar bands. This year’s lineup is just fantastic. Make sure you circle May 24th on your calendar: it’s RVA night, and NO! BS Brass Band will be there to host what’s sure to be Richmond’s biggest dance party of the spring.
- When: Fridays, May 3rd – June 28th
- Where: Brown’s Island
- Price: $5 – $10