To eat, or not to eat? That is the question we face in June.
Over 60 chefs will jam together on a four-block stretch of Broad Street to dish out oodles and oodles of deliciousness. At $3 for a mini-plate, it’s a great way to sample some of RVA’s best. There’ll also be local craft beer on hand too!
- Sunday, June 1st • 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- W. Broad Street between Henry and Adams streets
- $3 for mini dishes; $5 for beer sampling cup
Dating back to 1982, the Ashland Strawberry Faire features food, crafts, kids activities, entertainment, and…strawberries! This free event has free parking and free shuttle service. C’mon, what more do you want!?!
- Saturday, June 7th • 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Randolph-Macon College
Last year’s inaugural event sold old out its 3,000 tickets. Organizers have given this year’s festival more space and better parking by moving it to The Diamond. Over 40 craft beers will be available. Tickets get you a commemorative glass, unlimited sampling, and a food voucher.
- Saturday, June 7th • 12:00 – 6:00 PM
- The Diamond
- $25 – $50
The city really goes whole hog at this annual event. For $4 you can sample bacon-centric dishes from over 40 local restaurants and food carts. Wash it down with one of over 20 Virginia craft beers.
- Sunday, June 8th • 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- 17th Street Farmers Market
- FREE admittance (bacon samples $3; beer and cider $6)
Tickets get you a sampling glass to taste 40 bourbons and 60 beers on tap. And if you get hungry, you can chow down on pulled pork, ribs, brisket, chicken, sausages, and more. Start your diet the day after.
- Saturday, June 14th • 12:00 – 6:00 PM
- Richmond Raceway Complex • 600 E. Laburnum Ave.
- $25 – $45
Choose oysters (steamed, raw, and fried) from Rappahannock River Oysters and pair them with your favorite Hardywood beer! There’ll be more treats from Pizza Tonight, Mosaic, King of Pops, and Curbside Creations.
- Sunday, June 15th • 12:00 – 6:00 PM
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery • 2498 Ownby Lane
- FREE admission
One of the greatest and most creatively flavorful world cuisines, Indian food should not be underrated for one second. And if you sometimes find yourselves yearning for a really-super-great Indian food option in Richmond, this is the place to be, with delicious food at reasonable prices and all sorts of cool cultural things happening.
- Saturday, June 21st – Sunday, June 22nd
- Cultural Center of India • 6641 Ironbridge Parkway • Chester, VA
- FREE admission and parking
Five Virginia wineries, five local breweries, and 10 local food carts will vie for your attention (and tastebuds). From Cooper Vineyards, Blue Bee Cider, Hardywood, Thai Cabin, The Savory Grain, and way more, this event is a great way to sample the best that Richmond offers.
- Saturday, June 21st • 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Washington Redskins Training Center • 2401 W. Leigh Street
- $15 in advance / $20 at the door
Restaurants, vendors, speakers, live music, and food demonstrations will be available for the over 10,000 people expected to attend the 11th annual event. Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or just interested in good food, this event is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
- Saturday, June 21st • 12:00 – 6:00 PM
- Azalea Gardens at Bryan Park • 4308 Hermitage Road
A ginormous number of local nonprofits and culture organizations come together to provide hands-on activities and stage performances. There might even be announcements about new products and programs (wink, wink).
- Saturday, June 28th • 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Greater Richmond Convention Center
Friday Cheers isn’t a single event, but several music concerts that take place on…wait for it…Fridays! Head out to Brown’s Island to celebrate Friday Cheers’s 30th season.
Here are the concerts in June:
- June 6th • Futurebirds and Spirit Family Reunion
- June 13th • Funky Meters with Mekong Xpress and The Get Fresh Horns
- June 20th • Houndmouth and St. Paul and the Broken Bones
- June 27th • Neko Case with Laura Veirs
photo by cyclonebill