There’s a lot to pack into such a short month, but we know you can do it. Feast your eyes on chocolatey, winey, culturey, and freezing cold water baths. Hey, to each their own.
Nothing warms you up in the winter like a blanket and a fireplace. Just kidding, it’s alcohol, obviously, that does the most warming from the inside out! The Winter Wine Festival in Staunton celebrates local wineries and cideries and sounds like the best possible way to spend a winter afternoon.
- Saturday, February 21st • 12:00 – 6:00 PM
- Just aim your car at Staunton. It takes up most of downtown. See site for parking info.
- $20 in advance and $25 at the door. A snack is included.
The RIFF gives Richmonders a chance to see movies we would have to wait an agonizing amount of time to see on Netflix. If Netflix even bothered to alert us of its existence. Check out our RIFF coverage during all of February.
- Thursday, February 26th – Sunday, March 1st @bull; see site for schedule
- See site for venues
- $10 per film, with packages available
Get super cold and get people to give money to a good cause! Ice bucket challenge? Please. That was in the summer, when people wanted to cool off. The Polar Plunge is in the dead of winter. You’re hardcore about your fundraising.
- Saturday, February 28th • 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Westhampton Field, 901 Maple Avenue
- Free to attend!
Photo by: Tambako The Jaguar
— ∮∮∮ —
There are films, and there are films, and there are films that inspire us to take better care of our planet. Why wouldn’t you go watch a bunch of the latter, especially if they’re free? There’s nothing like absorbing information via dramatic moving pictures.
- Monday, February 2nd – Sunday, February 8th • see site for schedule
- See site for venues
Chocolate lovers and good-deed lovers unite! This annual and super-fun party benefits Family Lifeline, which in turn benefits the community.
- Thursday, February 5th • 6:30 – 9:30 PM
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
- $50 includes food and two drinks
The fourth annual party and parade celebrates the most hedonistic and also the most fun holiday in all the land. Floats and costumes, lots of dancing, and performances at Dogtown Dance Theatre…there’s no reason to go to New Orleans ever again! (JK, you should go there at your earliest opportunity. It is the best.)
- Saturday, February 14th & Tuesday, February 17th • see site for times
- Dogtown Dance Theatre, 109 W. 15th Street
- $75 for a float spot in the parade, free to attend. Tickets to the Dogtown show are $15