I know you want to just shove the kids outside so you can continuing binging on House of Cards this weekend, but Richmond’s got some fantastic, family-friendly events in the works for the next few days. You know, if you’re looking for a break or something.
1. War Horse
Sure, you could check out the 2011 movie version via Netflix or something, but why not give the kids a chance to see it (sort of) live? The National Theatre will a stage adaptation of Michael Morpurgo’s beloved children’s novel live from London’s West End to venues around the world–including Camp Concert Hall, right at our very own University of Richmond. There will be music! There will be age-appropriate drama! There will be…life-sized horse puppets.
- Thursday, February 27th • 2:00 PM1
- Camp Concert Hall, Booker Hall of Music at the University of Richmond
- $8-$14 (see website for pricing details)
March is Women’s History Month, so stop by the Virginia Historical Society for a little story/activity time to help kick off your family’s conversations about who runs the world.
- Saturday, March 1st • 11:00 AM — 12:00 PM
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 N. Boulevard
I really wanted to write the summary of this event in anapestic tetrameter, Seuss’s preferred poetic meter, but it felt a little pretentious. And also really hard. Soooo let’s just leave it at this: come celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday (what would’ve been his 110th, in fact) with readings, treats, games, and crafts!
- Monday, March 3rd • 4:00 PM
- Main Library, 101 E. Franklin Street2
Are you a person who lives in the world? Then this symposium is for you. Join experts from the the fields of leadership, education, and neuroscience as they explore how we can reconcile what today’s society demands from us with what we need (physically and emotionally) as human beings.
- Tuesday, March 4th • 8:30 AM — 3:00 PM
- The John Marshall, 101 N. 5th Street
Spring has almost sprung, so that means it’s time to make sure our little ones have clothes that actually fit once the weather changes. Fancy Pants Richmond3, purveyor of boutique children’s clothing for $25 or less, will host its Spring 2014 sale early next week, so take some time this weekend to sort through the kids’ closets. And, guys? There will be so much smocked clothing at this thing, you won’t even know what to do with yourselves.
- Tuesday, March 4th • 6:30 — 8:30 PM and Wednesday, March 5th • 9:00 AM — 2:00 PM
- West End Community Center, 8102 Ridge Road
- Cash and checks only
Photo by: MaisonDBC
- There’s also another showing on Sunday, April 6th at 3:00 PM. ↩
- Dr. Seuss’s birthday coincides with Read Across America Day, so there’s sure to be something happening at your local (or local-ish) library, as well. ↩
- I’m really glad a store with this name exists. It’s impossible to say it without a ridiculously Southern accent. ↩