Before you drink to your heart’s content, consider running a 5k!
While many enjoy St. Patrick’s Day with a few (and then a few more) libations, those who want some (non-alcoholic) outdoor exercise this time of year needn’t feel left out. Here are a few area 5ks coming up, some of which benefit good causes.
— ∮∮∮ —
This event earns money for programs that address childhood obesity, such as select local PE departments. There will also be free music, sports demonstrations, food, and general good times.
- Saturday, March 16th • 9:00 – 11:00 AM
- Main Street at Westchester Commons Shopping Center (Midlothian)
- $30 for the 5k, $12 for the 1k Fun Run
Held in Chesterfield County at Millwood School, this race gives you a good reason to get out of the city for a little while.
- Saturday, March 16th
- Millwood School, 15100 Millwood School Lane (Midlothian)
- $25 for 5k, $15 for Fun Run through March 15th. Prices increase $5 on race day
Last year’s event raised over $142,000 for the animals of the Richmond SPCA. This year, organizers hope to top that amount. Bring the pups along for the Dog Jog, or go it alone on the 5k course (or do both!).
- Saturday, March 16th • 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Richmond SPCA, 2519 Hermitage Road
- $65 for both events, $35 per dog for Dog Jog, $35 for 5K ($25 for 15-year-olds and younger)
Also this year, organizers have added a one-mile track along the 5k course called the Little Leprechaun Loop for kids to run ahead of the 5k.
- Sunday, March 24th • 8:00 – 10:30 AM
- Patrick Henry Park in Church Hill
- $30 through March 16th ($35 thereafter).