It’s June! Do you know what that means? It’s nice outside. Often! As a result, there’s a lot (I mean a lot) of festivals that will take place throughout this lovely month.
It’s June! Do you know what that means? It’s nice outside. Often! As a result, there’s a lot (I mean a lot) of festivals that will take place throughout this lovely month. Whether you want to sample the food and culture of the Mediterranean, keep it local with delicious Richmond fare, or just consume a gluttonous amount of beer, bourbon, and BBQ, we have the rundown for you to eat, drink, and be merry all through the month of June.
Did you see the movie, Get Him to the Greek? It was totally wrong! Russell Brand didn’t need to be at the L.A. Greek Theater. He needed to be at the Greek Festival! This is one of Richmond’s most popular festivals. Russell Brand may have missed out, but you don’t want to.
- Thur. June 2 • 11:00am – 9:30pm ; Fri. June 3 • 11:00am – 10:00pm ; Sat. June 4 • 11:00am – 10:00pm ; Sunday, June 5 • 12:00pm – 7:00pm
- 30 Malvern Avenue Richmond,
Wouldn’t it be awesome if there was a festival that was locally driven, socially-responsible, and regionally appealing? This is the part where I say, “There is” because, hey, there is! Not only does Broad Appetit showcase the best local restaurants, beers, wines, and music, but it’s affordable for any budget; just $3 per tasting plate!
- Sun., June 5th • 11am – 5pm
- 100 – 300 West Broad Street
- Free! (53 participating restaurants all with $3 tasting plates)
C’mon. Really? Do you need me to hype up a festival that has beer, bourbon, and BBQ? I’ll save yourself the eye strain and just say that there will be 60 beers, 40 bourbons, and a lot of BBQ to sample and savor. Free parking and it’s indoors!
- Sat., June 4 • VIP Session: Noon – 6pm; Regular Session: 2pm – 6pm
- Richmond Raceway Complex, 600 East Laburnum Avenue
- VIP and Tasting Glass: $45 in advance only; Regular admission and tasting glass: $30 in advance, $40 on-site; Designated Driver ticket: $25 in advance and at the gate
Who says that California has the best wine in America? I mean, they elected Arnold Schwarzenegger as their governor. So, what the heck do they know? This year’s event will showcase 14 wineries from around the Commonwealth, food and beverage concessions, beer sales, over 30 specialty-item vendors, and live music.
- Sat., June 18 • 12pm – 6pm (rain or shine)
- Innsbrook’s SnagAJob Pavilion, 4901 Lake Brook Drive Glen Allen, VA
- $20 in advance, $25 at the gate
5. Xterra Games
Yay! Running! Now, I know what you’re thinking, “What the what is this guy talking about? Running?” Xterra has been doing this in Richmond for 13 consecutive years. The Xterra Richmond Trail Run offers two distances: 10km or the half marathon. The race course is the most unique in all of Xterra with both man-made and natural obstacles from the Manchester staircase climb (known as the “Mayan Ruins”) to rock hopping the “dryway” over the James River. Cool!
- Sat., June 11 • 7:30am – 1:30pm and Sun., June • 12 6:00am – 7:00pm
- Brown’s Island
- Prices vary between $20-$40
We could all use a little more soul in our lives (as well some really good food). This 7th annual event will feature 12 of Richmond’s best Soul Food restaurants and national gospel and R&B recording acts live all day on stage. Get yo’ grove on!
- Sat., June 4th • 12:00pm – 8:00pm
- Brown’s Island
Smell that? Yep, that’s the sweet, sweet smell of health that will waft throughout Richmond during the Vegetarian Festival. Come out for some great vegetarian and vegan food prepared by local businesses. There will be tons of tasty food, music, non-profits, and speakers. Have you been thinking about going veg lately? Been vegan for years? Just curious what type of food vegetarians and vegans eat? This is the place to be.
- Sat., June 18th • noon – 6pm
- Azalea Gardens at Bryan Park
This festival brings together the finest in Virginia food and wine for a one-day outdoor
festival at the Virginia Historical Society, in Richmond’s beautiful Museum District. Sample wine, listen to live music, partake in the work of local artists, and don’t forget about the food!
- Sat., June 11 • noon – 5:00pm
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard
Photo by: terren in Virginia
We originally reported that the St. Joseph’s Italian Festival would be held June 11th & 12th. Turns out this event was cancelled last year.